Saturday, December 10, 2011

The walk down the road

This is the story of a walk down a road which I took a few days back .


Yesterday I was taking a stroll
By myself , for being with someone ,
On me would have taken a heavy toll .
I was feeling the cold wind take a bite out of me ,
Even as my feet trudged along the street .

I was lost in my thoughts ,
Thinking of all the battles I thought
That in my life I had fought .
Suddenly a sound my ears caught ,
A slight whimpering it was
It brought me out of the trance in which I was .

I saw there sitting on the hold ,
A poor dog worn out by the cold ,
Waiting for someone who'd take him in his fold .
So lost I was in myself
That the thought of being a good samaritan never crossed my mind
Kindness and empathy in me I just couldn't seem to find .

I told myself that someone else will do the good deed ,
Of finding a hospitable roof for that creature of the canine breed .
I told myself that I have my worries to attend to ,
My various responsibilities which I have to tend to .

So ,giving it a mere fleeting look ,
Once again my path to the library I took ,
Once again I got lost in the thoughts
Of no consequences ,
That served no purpose but to fill my preoccupied brains
Putting it further under strain .

Then again I was broken out of my trance ,
By the same whimpering which it seemed had become weaker .
For every person who walked by that road ,
The same stance to the situation he took ,
And that poor small pup with those cute white spots
Was maybe finally giving up .

That thought of his giving up the fight
Brought those feelings
Which made me human
Back to my heart .
Unable to hear it anymore in my hand the little pup I picked ,
And as I carried it to find a shelter for him in my arms he curled .
I just wondered if all of us
Instead of making so big of a fuss
When showing kindness and empathy ,
Of being mererly sympathetic ,
Were to actually do some deeds that reflected our feeling ,
Won't it give the world , our lives a whole new meaning ?

No comments:

Post a Comment